The Quality Assurance Lab is located in the Eyring Science Center in the department of Nutrition, Dietetics, and Food Science. The Quality Assurance Lab has about 10 undergraduate student employees majoring in Food Science or Food Industry Management. The top priority of the Quality Assurance Lab is testing and releasing samples from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Welfare Canneries and Processing Plants in a timely and accurate matter. The average turn-around time (in days including weekends) is less than one day. Students work on long term projects as time permits.
The purpose of the BYU Food Quality Assurance Laboratory is to provide technical support and personnel to Welfare Services through the following objectives:
- Perform quality assurance tests in support of Welfare Services production with test results reported within three working days
- Detect and report problems in packaging and product in Welfare Services production within three working days
- Maintain staff and equipment for the BYU Food Quality Assurance Laboratory
- Provide students with hands-on experience in industrial type quality testing of foods for Welfare Services
- Provide assistance and instruction in training production personnel, sanitation, and quality control teams
- Provide assistance and instruction in training Welfare Services production personnel, sanitation, and quality control personnel
- Provide technical assistance regarding state and federal regulatory requirements
Find an example of the tests we run here.
S-169 ESCProvo, UT 84062Tel: 801-422-1418
For Winter Semester 2019 Student Employment Opportunities: Please use the following link https://byu.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eS9F2AfikbNZret from October 15, 2018 until November 24, at 11:59 pm.