The Brigham Young University Dietetic Internship (DI) participates in the pre-select option to computer matching (the DI does not particiapte in computer matching.) The BYU DI has eight (8) openings per year. The internship is a combined internship with master's program. The application deadline is January 15 at 9:59 pm Mountain time (11:59 pm ET). Applicants will be notified on or before February 1 confirming his or her acceptance status in the program.
If selected for the BYU DI, the applicant's name and email will be submitted by February 1 to D&D Digital Systems, Inc. to ensure that the applicant will not participate in the April computer match. If the applicant is not selected through the pre-select process, he/she may apply to any other DI through the computer matching process. D&D Digital Systems may be contacted at (515) 292-0490 or email@example.com
Admission requirements and prerequisites
- Completion of Brigham Young University’s ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics with an original 'Verification Statement' or 'Intent to Complete' from the Didactic Program Director.
- Personal interview with the selection committee
- Successful candidates generally have:
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.2 on a 4.0 scale, with no grade lower than a B- in any NDFS course or C- in other major courses
- At least 1,000 hours of dietetics-related work and/or volunteer experience
- A Combined GRE Quantitative and Verbal Reasoning score of ≥300 and ≥4.0 on the Analytic Writing test
Application Process Overview
DICAS and BYU Graduate Studies Application: Applicants must submit two applications 1) application through the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) and 2) application through BYU Graduate Studies.
Interview: Applicants must complete an interview. The 2018 interviews are scheduled for Friday January 19, 2018 between 9 am to 12 pm MST.
1. Complete a DICAS Application
- Complete an application in the DICAS Online Applicant Portal https://portal.dicas.org/ by January 15 at 9:59 pm Mountain Time (11:59 pm ET).
- Document GRE scores in DICAS
- Submit GRE scores to BYU on or before January 15
- Request a BYU transcript to be sent to:
- Dr. Pauline Williams, PhD, RDN, CD electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org. The transcript must be an official transcript and sent directly from BYU. The transcript should not be “issued to student”.
- This transcript request is in addition to the DICAS transcript request form
- In the DICAS system list four references (see details below) and assure letters of recommendation are uploaded by Jan 15 at 9:59 pm Mountain Time (11:59 pm ET).
- Two BYU Dietetics faculty members from your undergraduate program
- BYU dietetics faculty may choose to provide a verbal recommendation. Clarify with faculty if recommendation will be verbal or written.
- If you are not selected for the BYU DI and apply to other internships the faculty will need to submit a written recommendation to DICAS
- Two work or volunteer supervisors; recommendations should be submitted by the Jan 15 deadline
- Submit a $45 DICAS application fee to DICAS by January 15
- If not accepted at BYU, you can then use the DICAS system to apply to other internship(s) by February 15, with an additional $20 fee per program
- Submit a $30 BYU application fee on or before Jan 15 at 5 pm Mountain Time to the BYU Dietetic Internship. This fee is separate from the DICAS fee. Normal office hours are 8 am to 5 pm MST Monday-Friday; closed weekends and holidays. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday the fee must be received before the deadline during normal office hours.
- The fee may be a check made out to “BYU”, cash, or cougar cash (aka signature card). We cannot accept credit/debit cards.
- Pay the $30 fee in the NDFS financial manager's office S-229 ESC; provide your name at the time of payment.
- OR mail to Dietetic Internship Program, S-221 ESC, Provo, UT 84602
- Indicate your name in the mailing
- Please do not mail cash
2. Complete BYU Graduate Studies Application. Applicants for the Combined DI Masters track must complete this application in addition to the DICAS application.
- Complete an application through BYU Graduate Studies http://gradstudies.byu.edu by January 15 at 9:59 pm Mountain Time (11:59 pm ET).
- Apply for the MS in Nutritional Science and Dietetics, Dietetics Emphasis
- Obtain and submit an Ecclesiastical Endorsement
- Submit GRE scores to BYU by January 15
- In the BYU system list three people who will give you a recommendation. Select the three people from the four you listed in the DICAS system application
- Two work supervisors and one BYU Dietetics faculty
- Inform recommenders to download and save the DICAS recommendation and then upload that form into the BYU system
- Both faculty and work recommendations must be upload by Jan 15 deadline
- Contact dietetics and nutrition faculty to discuss possible graduate projects. Enter preferred project area(s) and faculty into appropriate space in graduate application; you may list more than one. A list of faculty can be found on the NDFS home page
- Pay all fees related to the Graduate Studies application
3. Sign-up for an Interview
Interviews are set for Friday January 19, 2018 between 9 am to 12 pm MST. Sign up for an interview here. If all interview slots are full, contact the Dietetic Internship Director email@example.com to set up a time. Interviews are held in the Eyring Science Center on the BYU campus. Report to the Hallway by S-221 ESC at scheduled interview day/time. If you are far from the Provo area, please sign-up for an interview time, then contact the Dietetic Internship Director at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a video or conference call.